21 January 2015
about a week ago, my daughter came over with 2 bags of stuffing. she needed my help in creating an owl. she said her attempts were not exactly up to par. 8) so as i listened to her tell me why she needed a handmade item, i searched th Ravelry site for an owl pattern. she told me that the principle of my granddaughter's school had been diagnosed with cancer. she didn't know what kind. and the kids r making handmade items for an auction to raise money to help the principle with expenses related to her treatment. apparently, the principle is very well-liked by the kids. i found out that my granddaughter enjoys helping out in the school office. and she is only 6 yrs old. such a good helper.
found a pattern i thought i could make easily and quick. showed it to my daughter and asked what color yarn she wanted to use. of course, she wanted bright colors. the colors i just happened to have gotten for other projects. but i couldn't let my granddaughter down so off i went to my stash of yarn. as my daughter and i looked thru the colors, she picked out the brightest ones. and 2 that were a bit muted. see the color of the pieces below:
pieces to owl
as u can see, the pieces r bright in color. the one piece that caused me trouble was the head piece. the orange head piece in pic is not the one in the finished pic. i pulled that piece out so many times and tried different ways to do it. i finally settled on triangles made in the granny-square fashion. i slip stitched them together and finally had it looking the way i wanted.
the pattern called for 2 pieces of material to hold the stuffing. after sewing them together i stuffed it with the stuffing. i then saw that i did not turn the piece right side out. so i had to pull out the stuffing and fix it. i did and finally goth it stuffed.
pillow stuffing. ended taking it out and restuffing after turning it right-side out.
after getting the stuffing on, i put the front and back pieces around the stuffed pillow. i was very pleased how it was coming together. i put the first wing on and tried several of the head pieces i made. frustrated with the head piece, i worked on the other pieces of the owl.
finished with crocheting the different parts of the owl, i put it together Tuesday, Jan 20th after receiving a text from my daughter telling me she would pick up the piece in the afternoon. she also offered to help finish it up. however, she never did make it to help as she "was scattered brained". she even missed 2 of 3 appointments for her son. she said her whole day was weird. anyway, she did not pick up the piece until later that evening.
if would not have been for that head piece, i would have been done by 1300 hrs. but i was instead finished just b4 my hubby came home from work, around 1600 hrs. that darn head piece! anyway, after finishing up, i took the last pic of the owl now completed.
finished pillow owl
glad i was able to help my granddaughter and daughter out with a nice piece. i am pleased. i am even making another one. have also thought about making more in different sizes and trying different stitches. when i finish with the one already started, i will try one made with the granny square technique.
until next project blog...